Saturday, December 13, 2008

EVEN IN TIMES OF RECESSION THERE IS HOPE

I think I have wasted time[yours actually] on ranting on the current administration. Sorry, about that. I could not help it. I know it makes me part of the easy-to-target-and-bash-Bush-bandwagon. However, there are a few things that have changed since my last blog. Now, having November rates hovering around 515,000 to 533,000 then just add on 58,000 jobs lost in the first week of December, makes the recession we are facing look daunting. And with more than 4 million people out of work in this country, it seems a bit silly to lower to ranting about a lame duck President. So, is there good news? Mmm yah!

FOR YOU LUCKY DEVILS WORKING IN DETROIT


It looks like the Bush administration will do a back flip on giving the Big three car makers a hand. After telling all the democrats to look at other money to pay for quick fix, the about face you will see in the coming days will surely happen. Now if you were the President of a nation with the worst jobless rate in 26 years, would you just shrug it off? Let the next president deal with it. I don't think that will happen. President Bush faces a bad legacy. Unless you are one of those insanely delusional people that believe the President kept us safe from terrorism. Or if you are willing to give him credit[as I do] for helping aids victims in Africa, there is not much else there for him.

Will the bail out money be used? Yep. I believe so. Already the Fed has used up most of the segment bit off for this quarter. 15 billion dollars remain. So how much of that will be in Obamas' hands when he comes to office? Zip. Nada. Zero. What is left of that 7 hundred billion, it will be in President Obamas' hands in 2009.

FINALLY, ADVICE THAT SOME OF YOU CAN USE

Are there really jobs out there? Oh yes, there are! I am living proof that I was right. Once I moved out of the state I lived in for four horrid years, I am getting call backs and had at least one interview planned this week. Can't really say the same for the state I was once living in. Now I also have been remiss in not addressing important issues for those worried about potentially losing their job from chap. 11 or outsourcing.
Now I know that some of you think what I am about to say is a "no duh," moment. But I am surprised by the amount of people online that seek advice on how to find a job, especially, younger, more Internet savvy people.

ONLINE RESUME


An obvious start, as far as I am concerned, is posting your resume online. Now there are issues of privacy but the traffic you get is miles longer then if you went basic job hunting physically from place to place. In my case, within two day I received two interview offers, plus a few nibbles from in my email box. And please don't worry about your experience, put what you can down and set up a resume online. Now I am not recommending any one job site. I picked Career builder only because I have used it before. It appears to have less spam connected to it then most. Other jobs sites like Monster are fine. All would work. They usually provide free software to download your resume, or for beginners, help you build your own. There is a warning: they do have extra software that you can buy to increase your traffic. I don't think it is particularly important, but if you have the extra bills handy, why not? It is run pretty much like a Temp. employment agency. It has a list of categories. Just take a look and maybe something you are good at pops up. And always remember to include your email address. I can't stress that enough. You might get a good bite. You will get some spam jobs, offers too good to be true. Just be weary when looking at direct email appeals. So have a email that is good at debugging and classifying spam.

Now you don't have to post a resume, just log into any of these major job sites and look around. Just be careful. Some sites have a back log of spam and offers you have to go through before you can register with them.


RECESSION OR NO RECESSION SOME ARE BULLET PROOF


Is there such a thing as a recession proof job? I do believe it. There are things that people have to have to just survive. I will name only one in this blog.

Food.

Yes, food is essential. The particular food I am talking about its that which decomposes quickly. That has to be made locally or i. e. can't be outsourced.

Bread and Buns.

Having worked in a large bakery I can tell you there is always a need of fresh bread. Frozen bread from China anyone? No way. The market for that is there. So why not bread production. Flowers, or Sara Lee?

What about soup and spam[the real meat kind]. These to items appear always red hot in recessionary times. Do you have local distributor of spam or soup near you? If your job is heading south or north or across this great big world just think of the kind of jobs that are recession proof.

TAKE A DEEP DEEP BREATH

Think of unemployment rates in other countries. Zimbabwe. Why Zimbabwe? Why not. Once a agriculture powerhouse, now just in ruins. Last reported unemployment rate was 8o percent! Think about that when you see 7 percent and 8 percent in 2009.

I wonder if anyone is really looking at the Great Depression with a clear eye? We are not even close to that period of strife in our nation. By 1933, there was unemployment rate of 24.9 percent! How can any body compare this recession to that era? We can go back to 1974 and 1982 to find similar conditions as some reporters have, but until further notice I will will not listen to undereducated individuals using the Great Depression as a example. We are not there. However, I am open to all things. But my optimism guards against such thoughts, let's hope the rest of the nation has a similar coat of arms. Take care.

Courteous Navigator






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post.. Here is something that can help consumers gain traction on their resume and getting a job..., We focus on the SEO optimization aspect of the resume.


http://www.ResumeBucket.com allows your to have a unique url; www.resumebucket.com/YourName

It's 100% Free! Takes 10 seconds to sign up.

We automatically optimize the SEO of your resume, and within 24 hours, your resume / name will be ranked in google! (If you want it public or not, up to you)

Free Resume Search, Free Job Searching, and a full bore Resume Manager..

Thought this would be relevant to your post :-)